Monday, August 07, 2006

SHOPPING FOR SCHOOL


I spent all of yesterday school shopping with my kids. We managed to make it home with only six or eight eye rolls. And two major threats that my teen daughter would just die without a certain pair of jeans.

My son is much easier to shop with. If it fits it's o.k. Oh as long as the shirt doesn't have long sleeves.

On our school shopping extravaganza we went to seventeen stores, and spend what seemed like a quarter of a million dollars. It's money I'll literally never see again. Some of these clothes won't ever make out of the closet. And some of the supplies won't be used or used for their intended purpose.

My daughter is a marathon shopper, until our focus turned from jeans to notebooks. Then it seemed someone had filled her shoes with cement. Funny, that's where I got my second wind.

Nothing says back to school like fresh, clean paper, and sharpened pencils. I can't wait to sound the trumpets the first day of school. It is almost as good as Christmas morning.

I've heard of Mother's that cry and find it hard to let go of their little one's the first day. It must be the valium kicking in. It is completely the opposite for me.

I wake up to the birds singing, and with a spring in my step. Impatiently I wait for the kids to get dressed and finish breakfast. I announce, "only twenty minutes till school starts, we better hurry".

I prod them into the car for the four block trip. I wouldn't want them to be late. Then the moment arrives that the kids have been dreading.

No not school, mom's happy dance. I stop in front of the school, get out and wave to the kids. Then I do my victory dance that I survived another summer.

The kids rush for the door in embarrassment. Hey it's one way to get them inside without having to drag them. Then I return home to enjoy a cup of coffee in peace.

I love school!!

15 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

And those special jeans that kids wear these days most often look like a reject from the Salvation Army.

7:26 PM  
Blogger erika said...

Ohhh does the perfect jean even exist?

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm sorry, but a pair of jeans that looks 7 years old that costs $84 is just insane.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I miss shopping for new school supplies. I saw lots of moms with teen girls shopping for new school clothes at the mall today. I am so glad I have a boy!

7:58 PM  
Blogger siren said...

Mine is in that in-between stage. She doesn't demand the cool clothes yet, but can still manage an eye-roll here and there :)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Fuzz: No kidding,and the prices are outragious!

Erika: There are if your 5'5 and 102lbs. like my daughter. She makes me sick!

Mike: Some of the places we went 85 bucks is cheap. FYI she didn't get anything there.


Mimi: Boys are much easier. The only trouble I had with my son was, he wanted Spongebob briefs. Well this year he graduated into men's briefs. So I couldn't find any. He's still a little ticked but he'll get over it I am sure.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Siren: Consider yourself lucky!

8:13 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

I hate school shopping!
They want so much, and u'r right, most of it never gets used!

:)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

My daughter is just starting pre-school this year and I am sure I will be a bit sad the first day. I am positive that I will enjoy the little bit of time to myself, espicially since I have a new baby on the way.

I don't look forward to shopping with my daughter when she gets older. I always her that girls are harder and more choosey than boys. At almost three she is already wanting to wear certain things. What does that say for my future?

7:57 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I just started school shopping myself. Thank God I have boys, easy shopping. Jeans, t-shirts, socks and underwear.

8:12 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

My son won't wear long sleeved shirts either and we live in the Northeast. We're lucky this year; they just need underwear and socks...at least until the next growth spurt.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Starbender: With my teen I hand her money and say spend it wisely. That's all your getting!

Linda: You'll get over it soon, trust me. And yes girls are much pickier than boys.

Sherri: Why don't you just rub my nose in it! Bite me! ~wink~

Limpy: Lucky you, my son grew out of a boys large into a mens medium over the summer.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

I used to love the start of school with all the new pencils, bags notebooks etc.

Of course we had to wear a uniform but it still had the "new " feeling.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Pixie: It would sure make it easier for me if the kids wore uniforms.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous michaelm said...

mom's happy dance
rotflmao...
My wife would agree 100%.
With three daughters, this time of the year is hell on earth.
Thank God I don't shop.

~m

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Podunk, Texas

I am a wild Irish rose stuck in a cow pasture. Completely out of my element but trying to fit in as best I can.

Cairde

Previous Posts