Monday, August 21, 2006

RETURNING TO WORK


Here in small town Texas finding a job is hell. Especially in Podunk. If you aren't sleeping with someone, married to someone,or related to someone. The chances of getting a decent job in Podunk are slim and none considering I am an outsider.

After I quit waitressing for Becky I took a long deserved rest. I think seven years of work with no vacations warranted a little time off. But with bills piling up it was time to find a new job.

I put in applications all over town. And waited weeks for someone to call and say Ranea we would love have you work with us. Yeah, like that was going to happen.

But the local grocery store decided to take a chance on me. It's not my dream job, but it's a paycheck. I started working again last week.

I hurt all over. I am not use to being on my feet for 8 hours a day anymore. And learning their scanner and the produce codes is tricky. One wrong number and a $.05 banana is a $2.00 avocado.

I hate being the new clueless person. I have never been someone to ask for anyone's help. And now I am starting all over and having to ask a million questions. But that's not entirely my fault. My training consisted of having another cashier stand beside me for two hour.

My job isn't hard but there is a lot of lifting, and like I said my feet aren't conditioned for heavy use anymore. Every night I come home limping. I hope it gets better soon.

Maybe one of the other places I applied will call. I really don't want to end up like the boss. The man started working there as a kid carrying out groceries, and has never left.

17 Comments:

Blogger angel, jr. said...

You poor thing, sounds like you could use a foot massage and another vacation!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I used to work at Home Depot and I hated it, but when you need a paycheck, you'll do what you need to pay the bills. At least the crocery store will give you benefits, right?

3:25 PM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Angel:My husband won't rub my feet because I refuse to rub his. But his feet stink and mine don't. So I just soak them in Epsom Salt.

Mike:Nope no benefits. They give you just under 40 hours and keep you as part time so they don't have to.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

steal things, it will make you feel better (but not meat as that's technically rustling in Texas)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Ben Heller said...

Oh Ranea,

Wouldn't it be nice to be paid $100,000 a year for writing a blog ?

6:44 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I know how it can be a shock to the system standing so long, regardless if you are already active. Try Leggs Shear Energy panty hose. They really helped the pain in my legs. I never went to work without them. Plus they make you look a tad slimmer. And what women doesn't want that! LOL!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Good luck with the new job! I'm sure it isn't easy standing all day long. Wishing you foot rubs and back rubs!

9:19 AM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Yeah, but now he's THE BOSS!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger oldfartswife said...

hang in there Ranea! I hope to hit the lottery, and we all know that aint gonna happen.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Jim: I should steal cigarettes. They are like gold.

Ben:If you could get paid for blogging I would have a mental block. No paycheck!

Mimi: Nice suggestion but I can't stand wearing pantyhose the crotch always ends up between my knees.

Green Eyes: Wish all you like, it ain't gonna happen.

Limpy: Yeah, and it only took him 40 years.

Wife: I'll never win either,because all my plans for the money are evil!

4:07 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

...and has never left!

Be Afraid!
Be VERY AFRAID!
Mawwwhahahahahaaaaaa!

...but he's the BOSS now! See where hard work and dedication get U?
*pukes* Did I type that outloud???

You do know what BOSS really stands 4?

They are just Backwards Double SOB's!

Keep a cherrie smile; things are bound 2 improve!
NEVER GIVE UP - NEVER SURRENDER!!!

:)

7:52 AM  
Blogger erika said...

I have my fingers crossed for your new job!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Crazy Dan said...

At least yuor ass doesn't hurt from sitting down all day. It tough pretending to work all day!

2:55 PM  
Blogger ozymandiaz said...

Just think, the great thing about your new job is that you get to encounter a true cross section of society. Every type of person who lives in your community will pass before your eyes.
You own a gun right?
Been there
Done that
Had to quit before I climbed the local water tower with a high powered rifle (we didn't have a clock tower) and started culling the herd.
For that matter, I've had to quit quite a few jobs for that reason.
Does that mean I'm antisocial?

2:40 PM  
Anonymous michaelm said...

We live in such an imperfect world, huh?
Hang in there, Ranea.
I truly believe that there's a reason you took this job.
Sometimes you just need the patience to see it through.
Be well...and get some Dr.Scholl's gel pads for the puppies.

~m

9:10 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Oh you poor thing!!! I do feel for you, I know what it's like to start out from scratch, not knowing what the hell is going on, everyone looking at you like your an alien.

Good luck and hang in there!!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Good Luck, and just keep trying on the job front. I was a checkout gal for a few years, people think its a breeze but it aint.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Podunk, Texas

I am a wild Irish rose stuck in a cow pasture. Completely out of my element but trying to fit in as best I can.

Cairde

Previous Posts