Friday, July 28, 2006

BAND OR PIZZA



Last night the family went out for pizza. At the next table over were six band geeks and their leader, I mean teacher. I called him a leader because their conversation seemed to be on the border of being a cult. The leader then handed each geek a call list.

Each of them were instructed to call the people on their list and persuade them to join or stay in band. With cell phones at the ready. The phoning frenzy began.

I am pretty sure one kid scared off more people than he convinced to play in the band. This kid decided to call using an english accent. He got hung up on a lot.

The leader/teacher found his accent amusing. Another band member who looked more like the Ag. teachers wet dream had a much different approach. If the high school band gig doesn't pan out, this kid has a bright future as a used car salesman.

This kids sales pitch for the marching band should be stitched on a pillow! After asking others to join, he would say, contrary to popular belief band is the cool thing to do. I almost choked on a bread stick!

The last kid Slick called was still on the fence about band even after his best pitch. So then Slick pulled out the big gun. He told the kid on the line, tonight pray about it and call me back. I chuckled and said to my husband, what would Jesus do?

I wonder if that kid has made his decision yet?

13 Comments:

Anonymous michaelm said...

Jesus would tell him: "Play trombone, kid. Chicks dig bone players."
I can really "see" the scene play itself out. Though I'm a musician, hearing the 'being in the band is cool' angle would have made me cough up a slice of pepperoni...from like 6 months ago.

~michaelm

3:39 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Band is cool? The kid has already been brainwashed. WWJP. What would Jesus play?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Maybe they need to recruit people to play the more obscure instruments like cowbell, brown jug and triangle. That would score some new recruits!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I bet Jeasus would play the Harp.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

BTW..........how about if I learn how to spell Jesus!!!!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Wow, Ranea, pizza and free entertainment! I'm so jealous!

10:06 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I can't believe you didn't jump in and take part. So tempting!

-- david

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Bruce said...

This one time; in band camp...

Sorry, but the oppurtunity presented itself, and who am I to say no, right? ;)

6:49 PM  
Blogger siren said...

Sigh....

I was a band geek.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ranger Tom said...

You're right. Sounded like a cult in the making...

The band cool?

Sheesh!

2:42 PM  
Blogger limpy99 said...

Even Jesus beat up the kids in the band. Says so right in the Bible.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ranea said...

Michaelm: Do you think Jesus would suggest a bone or something in wood?

Fuzz: If your a band geek it's cool.

Rocky: I can play a cowbell, I'am in!!!

Mike: I didn't even think of that!!

Green Eyes: It was entertaining.

David: I bit my lip a lot!!

Siren: One time at band camp....LOL

Ranger Tom: I hear and I obey!

Limpy: I must have missed that passage. Where is it? Wink

3:44 PM  
Blogger siren said...

You know what's funny...I also played the flute :)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Podunk, Texas

I am a wild Irish rose stuck in a cow pasture. Completely out of my element but trying to fit in as best I can.

Cairde

Previous Posts